How To Save Energy This Summer
1. Set your air conditioner thermostat as high as you can, while still maintaining comfort.
2. Have your central air tuned up and clean or replace filters monthly to ensure a more efficient operation. (Tip: Call Action Air Clarskville to schedule your summer maintenance appointment, today!)
3. Minimize indoor heat by only running the dryer and dishwasher in the evenings. (Tip: On hot days, let your dishes air dry. Avoid using heat-generated incandescent lights when you can and use a microwave, toaster oven or outdoor grill instead of the oven. Avoiding the use of major appliances between 2:00pm-8:00pm will make a huge difference in your electric bill, too!)
4. Set your water heater to 120°F.
5. Keep the blinds and windows closed during the day and open at night. This is a no-cost way to keep your home a little cooler without the use of your air conditioner.
6. You can also utilize window, ceiling and whole-house fans as a low-cost way to keep your home cooler in a more cost effective manner.
7. Wash clothes in cold water and clean the lint filter in the dryer after every single use.
8. Unplug appliances and electronics when they are not in use. (Tip: If you plug home electronics, such as televisions, DVD players and computers into power strips you can easily turn everything off at once at bedtime.)