My system is running well, can I skip maintenance?
Although you can technically skip maintenance, it is not advisable! Imagine doing the same with your car. If you never have the oil changed or a tune-up until the check-engine light comes on, you can’t expect it to last more than a few of years. With that in mind, there is one very practical reason to schedule maintenance and that is saving money! There are two ways scheduling yearly maintenance will save you money: prevention and energy efficiency.
Regular check ups give your technician more chances to detect small problems and correct them, before they become major issues. Repairing a small refrigerant leak may not be a huge charge, but buying a new compressor when low refrigerant levels burn your current one out can cost a significant amount of money.
Maintenance service will ensure that your HVAC system is running at maximum efficiency by cleaning out your system and making sure that everything is in optimal condition. When your HVAC is running well, it uses less energy to cool and heat your house. Lower energy usage means lower bills and less environmental impact.
So what are some of the things we will do in a routine maintenance visit?
- Check thermostat settings. – This should be operating at optimum efficiency.
- Tighten all electrical connections. – Bad connections can reduce the life of major components.
- Lubricate all moving parts. – Friction can slow motors and increase the amount of electricity used.
- Inspect the condensate drain. – A clogged drain can cause water damage and affect indoor humidity.
- Check system controls. – We check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates, and shuts off properly.
- Clean air conditioning coils. – Dirty coils reduce the system’s cooling ability. This in turn makes the system run longer and wear down more quickly.
- Check refrigerant level. – Improper refrigerant levels will make your system less efficient.
- Inspect blower components. – Airflow problems can reduce efficiency by up to 15% in the winter.
- Check all connections, gas pressure, burner combustion and heat exchanger. – Any problems here can cause the equipment to operate less safely and less efficiently.
At Action Air we’ve been providing the Clarksville area with heating, cooling, sales, and service since 1979. We have certified service technicians, ready to provide you with high quality and knowledgeable maintenance on your unit. Visit our website or give us a call at (931) 647-8525 to set up your maintenance appointment today!