Energy efficiency is a huge priority for homeowners.
With cold weather coming, our houses are tightly sealed and furnaces are starting to run regularly.
In homes that are well insulated, carbon monoxide leaks can quickly reach dangerous levels. Having a properly installed, working carbon monoxide detector in your home is important to protect your family.
Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It cannot be detected by humans without the help of a detector, which makes it incredibly dangerous. The Journal of the American Medical Association has found that carbon monoxide easily passes through drywall, the material used to finish walls and ceilings in most residential homes.
Carbon Monoxide can be created by many different appliances around your home. Just a few of the many causes are:
- Oil and gas furnaces
- Motor vehicles
- Stove/gas range
- Gas line leaks
- Gas water heaters
- Space heaters
- Gas/wood burning fireplace
So do you really need a Carbon Monoxide detector? If you utilize any of the above in your house, the answer is yes. Additionally, If you have an attached garage or back up generators, you should have Carbon Monoxide detectors installed. It is recommended that you have one on each floor of your home, including the basement, as well as having them within 10 feet of bedrooms.
Carbon Monoxide prevention is also key. Fuel burning appliances such as gas water heaters, dryers and other appliances should be checked to ensure they are properly vented to the outside of the house. Most importantly, an annual heating system tune-up is essential to maintaining the safety and reliability of your gas furnace. Contact Action Air and ask a technician to clean and check the furnace burners and test for the presence of carbon monoxide. We can also take care of your fall maintenance to get your house ready for the winter. At Action Air we have certified service technicians, qualified installers, and a knowledgeable sales staff. When You Need Action, Call Action Air!