If you smell a musty or dirty odor in your home, it could be coming from your HVAC duct system. Action Air wants you to know how this happens and what to do about it.
Basics of your air duct system
- Supply ducts push the air throughout your home, and the return ducts bring the old air back for filtering and conditioning.
- HVAC systems need an equal amount of air entering and exiting through the ducts for efficient operation.
- Air ducts are located either beneath the floor or in your attic space, depending upon the location of the air handler.
How do air ducts get dirty?
- Airborne contaminants like smoke, mold, and dander from pets are circulating in your home and in your air ducts.
- Most of these are caught by your air filters but not all.
- Here are some air filter recommendations from Consumer Reports.
- If you have a moisture problem in your home, mold could form in your ductwork, resulting in musty duct odor.
- Rodents can sometimes infiltrate your ductwork, leaving waste that can affect the cleanliness of your ducts.
- Action Air recommends changing disposable filters every month.
What can you do to help your ductwork?
- If you have floor vents, remove the covers and vacuum accumulated dust and dirt as far into the ducts as possible.
- Make sure vents are open, and nothing is placed over them that could block the airflow.
When to call Action Air?
- If you smell a musty duct odor.
- If your system is unusually hot or freezing over, which can be an indication of restricted airflow.
At Action Air, routine maintenance includes ductwork inspection.
If you notice any smells coming from your HVAC system, give Action Air a call at (931) 647-8525 or schedule an appointment here.
If you have any A/C system problems, now is the time to call Action Air for a complete check-up.
Action Air has provided heating, cooling, sales, and service since 1979. We have certified, NON-COMMISSIONED service technicians, qualified installers, and a knowledgeable sales staff. We can help you with your heating and cooling needs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When you need action, call Action Air (931) 647-8525.